If you are looking for a hearty dish that’s easy to prepare yet a bit sophisticated, look no further. I used to think that lasagna was difficult to make. But this favorite Italian dish is quite simple, especially if you don’t cook the pasta before making it, saving you a bunch of time and clean up. So, let me show you, step by step, how to make lasagna.
- How Much To Spend On Groceries
- Monthly Budget Meal Plan
- Our Family Grocery Expenses
- Meal Planning for Beginners
- How To Eat Healthy On A Budget
On Video: How To Make Lasagna Step-by-Step
Need A Meal Planner?
If you want to TAKE YOUR MEAL PLANNING TO THE NEXT LEVEL, check out OUR NEW MEAL PLANNER GOLD EDITION. THIS WORKBOOK INCLUDES A VIDEO TRAINING AND THREE BONUSES TO HELP YOU SAVE MONEY ON GROCERIES AND TIME IN THE KITCHEN.
A MATCHING CASH ENVELOPE SYSTEM SET IS ALSO AVAILABLE FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO KEEP THEIR FINANCES WELL ORGANIZED!
How To Make Homemade Lasagna
This homemade lasagna recipe requires only a handful of ingredients that you can find for about $16.50 at your favorite supermarket. Feel free to buy as many store brand ingredients as you want. I have tried and compared name brands and generic brands, finding no significant difference in flavor.
What You Will Need To Make Homemade Lasagna:
- 1 Pound Ground Beef [$3.50]
- 1 Pound Italian Sausage [$3.00]
- 2 Cans Hunts Spaghetti Sauce [$2.00]
- 2 Cups Shredded Italian Blend Cheese [$2.00]
- 2 Cups Cottage Cheese [$2.00]
- 2 Cups Shredded Parmesan Cheese [$2.00]
- 1 Package of Lasagna [$2.00]
- 1 Cup of Water
Instructions: How To Make Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit degrees.
- In a large saucepan, brown both pounds of meat over medium heat until there is no pink. Then, drain the grease into a container. Never discard the grease down down your kitchen drain because it will harden and clog your pipes. Besides, I think in some cities discarding fat down the drain is against city code. I recycle our coffee cans and use them as grease containers to store the grease. I keep it in the freezer and discard it in the trash once the can is full.
- Add two cans of spaghetti sauce and one cup of water to your browned meat and bring the mix to a boil. Then, let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- While you wait for the meat to simmer and the oven to warm up, mix two cups of Italian and cottage cheese and one cup of parmesan cheese in a glass bowl. If you want, you can add pepper to the mix. Make sure to save one cup of parmesan cheese to top the lasagna.
- Now, it is time to layer your lasagna. In a large glass baking dish, spread some meat sauce at the bottom. Then, put one layer, usually five slices, of uncooked lasagna. Then, add half of the cheese mix and spread it out. Add another layer of meat sauce, then top with a layer of raw lasagna. Repeat this process to add a second layer.
- Usually, most lasagna boxes have about 15 pieces of pasta. If you are using a large dish, you will likely have enough pasta to lay two layers and a topping layer.
- Top the lasagna with the last of the meat sauce. Then, sprinkle one cup of parmesan cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake it at 375 Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Then, remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Finally, take the dish out of the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes before eating. Your pasta will have expanded and most likely fits snuggly in the baking dish. All the cheese on top should be nicely melted by now.
Serving Your Homemade Lasagna
Take this homemade lasagna to the next level by serving it with slices of garlic bread. You can buy the frozen kind at the store and bake it while waiting for the dish to cool down. And, of course, if you are a wine drinker, pick your favorite glass of red wine to enjoy a total Italian experience.
This lasagna is cheesy, filling, and it’s guaranteed to become a favorite for your family and friends. Best of all, this recipe serves eight adult portions, which means that you can have leftovers and skip one day of kitchen duty!
Conclusion: How To Make Lasagna
Are you ready to give this homemade lasagna recipe a try? You will not regret it! Requiring only a handful of ingredients that you can purchase for about $16.50, this dish serves eight adult portions. If you are looking for a homemade dish to celebrate a special occasion or simply want to try making this favorite Italian dish at home, you will be blown away by the results.
- 7 Easy Meal Prep Recipes For DinnerHaving a weekly meal plan and scheduling time for meal prepping can make a huge difference, especially for busy professionals and families. If you are looking […]
- Budget Categories To Organize Your Personal BudgetAt its basic level, budgeting is a two-step process. First, you estimate your income and your expenses. Second, you make a plan on how to spend […]
- How To Set Goals And Create A Life You Love (Free Printable Worksheet)At the beginning of every year, goal-setting is always a trending topic. We all have been there, promising ourselves we will really lose weight, pay off […]